Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Proposal Reflection

Assignment 4 Reflection

Proposal writing has always been difficult for me. I have a hard time keeping all the details straight. Proposals are complex documents, even working in a group finding time to get together, to do research, piece it together, and then make it sound coherent took a great deal of work from everyone with in the group to accomplish. Though I was fortunate to work in a group where everyone did their part, I did find it hard not to work on a project solo; however, I got to know my group members and we worked quite well together.

I did enjoy throwing around ideas with my group, but it seems we all just agreed with my first idea. At first, I thought it would be better to explain to my group members why creating a computer lab for the English department would be important, but since they were all English majors or taking an English class my point was moot. They agreed to my idea, and that Thursday I scouted out prospective areas and classrooms for the lab. I found a classroom that I felt would be the best bet; however, I felt that losing the one classroom to make it a lab wasn’t quite fair to the classes being held in that room. I reviewed the spring semester schedule book for the best classroom within Nance Boyer for the lab. I wanted to keep the lab within the English Department, but open it up to all students. I discussed this why my group members and they agreed again. The only issued I had was where do we put the displaced classes. Unfortunately, I do not have an answer to that question.

I came up with the topic of the proposal, I researched part of the budget, I surveyed areas for possible lab sites, I added the schedule, and I reorganized the proposal (adding the works cited section from information gathered by Renee and Sarah; and added the budget graphs created by Alicia to the appendices). I also created the questionnaire with help from all my group members. Sarah did the initial proposal editing, and I did the final editing, as well as the final revisions.

I believe our proposal is feasible because creating a computer lab with the already given space is much cheaper than building a new building. The only out of pocket costs are the computers and furniture. Hiring a lab supervisor and a few student works still do not cost as much as creating a building from scratch. A computer lab in Nance Boyer is feasible because it creates a work environment for students without the costs of the newer buildings.

Though this was a tough project, my group seems to have things together. We have met a few times to go over our research, and then to review our speech parts. I only wish we had more time to do this project. I felt that there wasn’t enough time to really do surveys and detailed research. I also felt pressed to do a wonderful job on my oral presentation. I am not a public speaker and no matter how well I know the subject matter I will probably end up stuttering or adding ums or ahhs. I know this unprofessional and I am working on getting over my public speaking/ stage fright. My group does make me comfortable with my oral presentation and they all helped me pull specific details from the proposal to discuss. Without my group’s help, I doubt I could be as affective in my oral presentation. All in all, I would say this was a good experience for me, and quite a challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment