Monday, October 12, 2009

Assignment 2 Reflection

Stefani Goode
ENG 2333
Dr. Liu
14 October 2009

Assignment 2 Reflection
In writing my claim letter, I choose scenario 1 because I do travel when time allows for it and I have had issues with tickets or seats. I can only imagine how frustrated one can be when their purchases are not honored by the company. In thinking about this scenario I choose to write a claim letter that reflected irritation but I didn’t make it an angry letter. From my experience angry letters are not answered. I tried to keep my tone claim and attempted to show frustration.

In response to that claim letter, I choose to write a good news letter. The two reasons for this are that good news is a bit easier to write and with a recession going on companies want to keep as much business as possible. In writing my adjustment letter, I tried to keep my tone sincere and concerned for my customer. I believe most companies should think that way. Not necessarily is the customer always right but if the customer can provide proof of error on the company’s part then the company should shoulder the blame.

In writing my memo, I attempted to approach the issue with the over-use of the photocopier in a manner that would not make the employees feel like they are all being punished; however, the employees needed to know that there were consequences with for their actions. The employees needed to see how Ms. Ponds was being affected and what their over-use was for the company. I choose not to add a threat of termination because it just didn’t seem feasible to fire employees for using the copy machine. I did create an option that allows employees to pay for their copies or take time off to make copies elsewhere and I feel this is workable.

In writing the claim letter, I found that the e-mail and letter format are equally as effective. The only issue with the e-mail format was setting it up. Once that was accomplished it worked the same as an actual letter. The e-mail is liable to get there faster than a mailed letter and possibly read sooner too; however, an e-mail can just as well be put on the back burner.

The adjustment letter, though written as a good news letter was not as easy to write. Good news is great on the receiving end but for the company to claim fault is not an easy issue. To apologize for an employee’s rude behavior or a mix-up and then apply an adequate appeal or compensation to the wrong’s done without losing too much face and finances can be as difficult as a bad news letter. In writing this letter, I worried most about the tone and if the message was both feasible and acceptable by both parties.

In writing the memo, format as well as tone was somewhat difficult for me. Trying to remind workers why the photocopying is and issue and why Ms. Ponds is upset was a challenge. I thought about where a photocopier might be and how it could cause issues besides the standard: wasting paper, not enough toner, and loss of petty cash or finances due to over-use; and what I discovered was that creating an issue regarding privacy with personnel files covered that pretty well. I just felt as if my tone could have been a bit sterner, I just didn’t want to should like a bully.

Overall, I believe that these documents are designed in a convincing and usable manner and they communicate effectively with diverse audiences while being ethical. Though this assignment was a challenge, I feel I am better prepared if a future employer asks me to write a claim letter, adjustment letter, and a memo. I have learned that I do need more practice in my tone and effectively presenting my information or thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment