Monday, October 26, 2009

Assignment 3 Reflection

Stefani Goode
ENG 2333
Dr. Liu
28 October 2009


Assignment 3 Reflection


In reflecting upon this assignment, I found that it is a rather easy assignment once I figured out what I as going to instruct. While writing the instructions for this assignment I actually had to do the assignment as a dry run with help of an assistant (my sister). Once the dry run was completed we did followed the instructions and actually washed both our dogs. While she followed the instructions I took the pictures. I took more pictures than necessary and had to really go through them while writing out my steps for the instructions.


I had difficulty with my actual page layout. I wanted to have adequate white space but cohesion on the page with the pictures, text, font, color and alignment. When looking at a list of instructions as a whole, the details need to be fine tuned. I chose left align for the text because that is how Americans read. I chose to stick to the same type of font throughout the page but I added bold and color to the font for important information. I chose to align my pictures in the center; however, it was suggested to me that I align all my pictures in columns down the center of the page. I had some trouble deciding if this would look since some steps had more than one picture. I decided against aligning all the pictures in a column because that would increase the white space on the page (leaving more room with nothing to look at) and it would increase the page length.


As to a usability test, I think that it would fail only because in a classroom setting there is no way to wash a dog. On top of that my dogs are people shy and would not be the best at attempting this in a public setting. The instructions are usable but only in a home or private setting.


This assignment has made me focus on how instructions are written and what makes them effective. Language or wording is very important to getting your point across and remembering your audience helps. I considered my audience to be people like my family and worded my instructions appropriately. I believe the instructions to be effective.

No comments:

Post a Comment