Memo
To: English Tech. Comm. Class
From: Stefani Goode S.G.
Subject: Hofstede’s Dimensions of Culture
Date: 6 October 2009
The purpose of this memo is to present the main things I have learned from Hofstede’s article. The goal of this article is to inform the audience about cultural differences.
Summary
I was impressed at how Hofstede’s article points out different cultural values in one corporation within a global community. Of his list of five dimensions, I believe all play an important role in how a corporation works within its individual countries while comparing it to the global community. I would like to discuss these different cultural values and dimensions using technical communication when you have a chance.
Discussion
Hofstede identifies five dimensions; the dimensions include power-distance, collectivism vs. individualism, and femininity vs. masculinity, uncertainty avoidance, and long- vs. short-term orientation. Each dimension is broken down by details. Once the details are listed, cultural values can be discerned from a global view to a smaller national view.
Hofstede’s article points out how some national communities run their corporations within the global communities; and with that one can see how to integrate those ideas or values and cultural differences within their own corporation or company.
Understand the differences between each nation will help a global corporation as well as a national corporation work within a global community.
Recommendation
I would like to use Hofstede’s dimensions to discuss the use of technical communication on a much smaller global scale. I think we should ask Dr. Liu to participate in this discussion. Call me at 555-5555 for any further information.
Wednesday, October 7, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment